We are a national legal “think tank” created by trial attorneys in 1956 to honor the life and work of Roscoe Pound, one of America’s great legal scholars and educators. Our programs and publications give a balanced view of issues affecting the U.S. civil justice system.
- The Institute has awarded the 2016 Appellate Advocacy Award to the team of Robert F. Daley, R. Scott Marshall and Brent M. Rosenthal for their work resulting in the Pennsylvania Supreme Court's landmark decision in Tooey v. AK Steel Corp. Click on the link above for details about the case and the Award recipients.
- JUST RELEASED: "Judicial Transparency and the Rule of Law" - Pound’s report of the 2015 Forum for State Appellate Court Judges. This 214-page report contains the academic papers prepared for the Forum, commentary by legal experts, and frank discussion by attending judges. Digital copies are free, print copies are for purchase. Details on the Judges Forum page.
- STATE APPELLATE JUDGES: Please confirm your registration at Pound’s 24th Annual Forum for State Appellate Court Judges, which will take place on Saturday, July 23, 2016 in Los Angeles. The topic will be “Who Will Write Your Rules—Your State Court, or the Federal Judiciary?” Details on the Judges Forum page.
- Pound's next Academic Symposium, "The Demise of the Grand Bargain: Compensation for Injured Workers in the 21st Century," will take place on September 23, 2016 at Rutgers Law (Camden). The papers written for the Symposium will appear in the Rutgers University Law Review. Northeastern University School of Law will also cosponsor.
- You may view video of and read the academic papers from Pound's October 15, 2015 Academic Symposium with Emory University School of Law, "The 'War' on the U.S. Civil Justice System." The academic papers written for the Symposium will appear in Vol. 65, No. 6 of the Emory Law Journal.
- ATTORNEYS: Become a Pound Fellow to help preserve the civil justice system by working with judges, legal academics and practitioners.
- POUND FELLOWS: Make your dues payment online.
- JUDICIAL & ACADEMIC MAILING LIST: Sign up to receive notices of free educational programs and scholarly publications offered by the Institute.
Updated May 24,2016